Date: 6th – 9th March 2017
KENYA WILDLIFE SERVICE TRAINING INSTITUTE, NAIVASHA
A LOGISTICAL GUIDE FOR THE CONFERENCE
1.0. THE 4TH ANNUAL DEVOLUTION CONFERENCE
The 4th Annual Devolution Conference 2017 is yet another important opportunity for county governments to collectively reflect about their opportunities and prospect for solutions to the challenges they have encountered over the last yet. This year’s conference is particularly important because it marks the last cycle of the first political leadership of each county.
It is the moment to assess the achievements of counties and assess their essence not only as foundations of social, economic and cultural empowerment of the Kenyan people, but also as focal points of democratic participation of people in governance.
This year’s conference shall be held at the Kenya Wildlife Training Institute, Naivasha, in Nakuru County. This year’s theme will be “The Devolution Transformation” and the Guiding Theme of the 2017 Conference is “Devolution – Transforming Lives: Tell Your Story!.
2.0. OBJECTIVES OF THE 4TH ANNUAL DEVOLUTION CONFERENCE
Overall Objective – To assess the gains, enhance the understanding and appreciation of devolution as a system of governance that focuses on public accountability and learning new ways of socio-economic development and delivering services.
- To discuss how devolution has been a tool for socio-economic integration in the country in promoting equity and inclusivity.
- To share experiences, challenges and solutions developed in the last four years from county and national governments as lessons for countries considering to undertake the “Big Devolution process, and
- To identify opportunities for change, growth and enhanced cooperation in changing perspectives, changing the narrative and entrenching devolution in Kenya.
WHO ARE THE EXPECTECTED DELEGATES TO THE CONFERENCE
The conference targets about 10,000 delegates comprising of Governors and Deputy Governors, CECs, Senators, Cabinet Secretaries, Members of Parliament, Members of County Assemblies, Private Sector, Media, international delegates, Development Partners, Civil Society Organizations, Academia, International delegates etc .
3.0. OVERVIEW & SUMMARY – BACKGROUND INFORMATION ABOUT KENYA WILDLIFE TRAINING INSTITUTE
Kenya Wildlife Service Training Institute (KWSTI) is a middle level college located in Naivasha about 90km from Nairobi.
It is registered with the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology as a TVET institution.KWSTI provides specialized training in Natural Resource Management and Tourism Development in an effort to enhance Conservation, Management and Sustainability of Wildlife Bio-diversity in Kenya and globally.
KWS TRAINING INSTITUTE – WEATHER AND CLIMATE
The KWSTI is located at an altitude of 1000 feet above sea level, giving it a damp climate and more moderate temperature than most of Kenya.
Daytime temperatures run at 22 °C maximum and night temperatures can drop to around 15 °C. Most rain falls between March, April and May and during the short rainy season in November and December.
HOW TO GET TO KWS TRAINING INSTITUTE
By Road: From Nairobi, it takes about 1 hour to Naivasha on a tarmacked road. KWSTI is located off the Nakuru – Nairobi Highway. Turn left after the Police check point into Naivasha town.
From Nakuru, turn right after the Heritage Hotel located on the right-hand side.
By Air: The nearest airports are Wilson Airport and Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (JKIA) in Nairobi.
ACCOMMODATION – WHERE TO STAY DURING THE 4TH DEVOLUTION CONFERENCE
Delegates can check online for available hotels within the Naivasha, Elementaita or Nakuru towns for accommodation. Delegates are responsible for booking of their own accommodation and transport into and from KWSTI.
• All delegates MUST register online www.devolution.cog.go.ke Deadline for registration is 3rd March 2017.
• Persons who have not registered online will not be allowed to access the conference venue.
• To register you must have the following: Full Names, ID Numbers and digital coloured passport size photo (22 inches (5151mm) in size).
• For delegates being registered through the secretariat MUST provide the above information for purposes of online registration and accreditation at the latest 3rd March 2017.
ACCREDITAION AND REGISTRATION VENUE
Collection of accreditation will be at Arch Bishop Ndingi Primary School on 6th March 2017.
Delegates are requested to organize for their own transport and plan to arrive at the conference center no later than 08:00 a.m. on 7th March 2017.
CLOTHING, SHOES AND WEATHER GEAR
Lightweight clothing is encouraged during the day, long sleeved shirts, dresses and trousers to protect you from the sun in the day and the mosquitos at night. Warm gear for early morning and late afternoon.
• All exhibitors who have paid will be assigned a booth with their organization name.
• Designated Secretariat will be on the ground to assist you.
• All Exhibitors can begin to decorate their stands on the morning of 6th March, 2017 and collect their accreditation from Arch Bishop Ndingi Primary School.
• The official times of the Expo will be from 9.00a.m to 6.00pm.
The booths that are offered by the Secretariat are standard and cannot be altered. The Standard dimensions are 3m2 by 3m2 or 10 by 10ft. The heights of the booths are 2m and 1/2m high.
• Exhibitors will be provided with one (1) table, 2 chairs and one (1) power point.
• Exhibitors are allowed to bring a screen for their booth.
• Exhibitors will cater for cost of decorating their booth.
• This is an online registration and hence the booth selected from the layout will become inactive meaning no one can rebook your booth nor will you change the booth you could have selected.
Hence, prior to booth selection, ensure that you have the booth you want.
• All exhibitors will be provided with accreditation at the registration desk for identification.
• The exhibition booth will be manned by a maximum of 2 people only.
• The two people manning the booths are entitled to 10 o’clock and 4 o’clock teas as well as lunches from the Exhibitors’ lunch tent.
• The two stewards of the booth must be registered online by their respective organizations.
• The Official Opening day of the conference will be on 7th March, 2017.
• Exhibitors are expected to decorate their tents on 6th March 2017. This will be done between 9am and 5pm. E.g. drapes with colours of your organisation, 2 roll up banners within your stand.
• Please note that we are only providing the space and all décor will be the solely the responsibility of the exhibitors.
• Set down will be on 10th March 2017. The Secretariat will not be liable for any loss or damage of equipment after the 10th March 2017.
• Security personnel will patrol the exhibition stands throughout the days of the conference.
• All participants will be screened.
• There will be ushers to assist with logistics at the event.
• Delegates are expected to provide their Identification card (Local Delegates) or Passport (International Delegates) on request prior to accessing the venue.
• KWSTI is located within a Sanctuary with wild animals. Kindly note delegates are not allowed to walk around after 6pm as there are wild animals e.g. Buffaloes, Giraffes, Antelopes, Warthogs
• There will be busses ferrying delegates from the conference site after 6pm
• For those driving kindly note that the speed limit is 40 kph
• Payments will be made via Mpesa, Bankers Cheque or through Visa Card payments. The Secretariat will not collect hard cash on ground or at the COG offices.
• Sponsors are entitled to a free exhibition space.
• Non sponsors will be charged Kshs. 50,000/= for a booth for the 3 days of the Expo.
• Deadline for registration and paying for exhibition of stands is 28th February 2017.
• All money is payable to:
MPESA PAYBILL NUMBER: 339553
Pay with Mpesa and Insert The transaction ID e.g LT65X99NG6
Bank name: Kenya Commercial Bank
Branch: Sarit Center Branch
A/C Name: COUNCIL OF GOVERNORS
A/C Number: 1164902318
Bank Code: 01141
Swift Code: KCBKENX
Health & Safety
The conference secretariat has organized for ambulances and fire engines that will stationed at selected areas within the conference venue. Kindly note the ambulances will only cater for minor medical cases and emergency evacuations will be facilitated where necessary. However, delegates will cater for their medical bills if hospitalized.
For more information please contact the conference secretariat via the following contacts;
NAME CONTACT PERSON EMAIL ADDRESS TELEPHONE NUMBER
Eunice Fedha Payments firstname.lastname@example.org +254 721 767119
Jennifer Kimani Sponsors & Logistics email@example.com +254 736 902640
Sharon Makena Development Partners firstname.lastname@example.org +254 721 214918
Sam Mutisya Program email@example.com +254 726 389860
Victor Odanga Program firstname.lastname@example.org +254 727 892921
Rosemary Irungu Moderators & Panelists email@example.com +254 724 128240
Martin Atuti Exhibitions firstname.lastname@example.org +254 722 127807
Phanuel Ojwaya Protocol Ojwaya.email@example.com +254 721 453339
Elizabeth Ambasa Hospitality firstname.lastname@example.org +254 733 638774
Hilda Were Accommodation email@example.com +254 708 757148
Duncan Kibani Online Registration firstname.lastname@example.org +254 720 853915