Nakuru picks team to represent at the South Rift Regional athletics
Written by James M. Alumera
The County Government of Nakuru, in partnership with Athletics Kenya (AK), on Saturday held the county track and field championships at Njoro Boys High School.
The competition attracted athletes from across the county who participated in different track and field events. Two finalists from each category will represent the county in the South Rift Regional Championships at Ole Ntimama Stadium in Narok on June 9, 2023.
Below are the winners making up the team selected to represent Nakuru County at the forthcoming event;
1. Daniel Kosen and Collins Kiplangat from Keringet won in the 10,000m race for men.
2. Dapash Raphael and Daniel Kosen won the men’s 5,000m race.
3. Brigid Chelimo and Josephine Chepkurui won the ladies 10,000m race.
4. Purity Chepkirui and Peninah Motesa won the 1,500m race for ladies.
5. Victor Kipkirui and Denies Bii won the 1,500m race for men.
6. Adonija Lenoroti and Topisia Wilton won the 100m race for men
7. Joyline Chepng’eno and Brilliant Chebogel won the 5,000m race for ladies.
Speaking during the event, the Nakuru County Ag. Director for Sports David Kimani promised to work hand in hand with the leadership of AK towards the development of sports, which is in line with Governor Susan Kihika’s manifesto of empowering youths through sporting activities.
Athletics Kenya treasurer David Atiti lauded the effort the leadership of H.E Governor Susan Kihika is putting to support sports in Nakuru.
Athletics Kenya PRO Mr Jepta Rono confirmed their confidence in the team and believes they will fly the county flag high during the competition.
Also in attendance were AK officials and the technical team led by chairperson Nancy Sigei, David Bii the Secretary and David Atiti who is the AK Treasurer.